My friends had baked this cake for me on my birthday and I knew it right away that I had to bake this to make someone else happy :) Who better than my adorable nephew I am visiting this rainy wintery like weekend at the end of May !!! And for us adults, what better than a slice of warm cake and coffee on this awfully gloomy rainy day !
cherry almond cake but my friends had used mixed berries so I decided to stick to that.
Prep Time : 1 hr 15 mins
Serves : It's a cake ... how can we decide ?!? 1 or more ;)
- 1 stick of butter ( warmed to room temperature) Recipe calls for more butter for pie plate but I use baking spray because it is easier.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 12 ounces ( 1 bag) of frozen mixed berries ; thawed and dried .. but I had no time to dry it !
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds ( I used chopped and whole.. really should not matter )
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 inch pie plate and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using an electric mixer whisk together butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Beat in almond extract and then add the flour mixture on a low speed . Do not overblend.
- Transfer batter to prepared pie plate ; scatter berries and almonds on top. Bake for 50-55 mins or untill toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
|A piece of berry cake with whipped cream..Yumm yumm|
Serve warm with whipped cream / chocolate sauce or chocolate ganache !
Happy Baking & Stay warm !
Ajanta from Amherst ( Actually Medford this evening )